helpmyhound home page
about - contact - help   
 

Quick Answers To Your Dog's Medical Symptoms
Monday 26th of June 2017



Chocolate Poisoning


General information on Chocolate Poisoning

Chocolate contains a caffeinelike alkaloid called theobromine. While not toxic to people in the amounts present in commercial foods, thebromine in these amounts can be quite harmful to the dog. A small dog weighing five to ten pounds can die after eating four to sixteen ounces of milk chocolate; a medium sized dog weighing twenty to forty pounds can die after eating sixteen to thirty-two ounces; a larger dog after eating about two pounds. Unsweetened chocolate contains higher concentrations of theobromine and is therefore more toxic. A dog can die after just eating four ounces.


Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Symptoms of chocolate toxicity occur within hours after the dog ingests the chocolate. They include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, seizures, and coma.

View Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning

Treatments for Chocolate Poisoning

If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, induce vomiting. [see HOW TO INDUCE VOMINTING in Pet Tips]. If more than two hours has passed admininster activiated charcoal to prevent the toxin from becomming absorbed.




Personal Experience

personal experience
If you have personal pet experience with Chocolate Poisoning
share your information here - Click Here

Chocolate Poisoning - personal experiences


Chocolate Poisoning experience by - Rhonda
Chicago, IL, USA

My 12 lb. dog got into a bag of Dove dark chocolates that my kids had left out in the basement. I don't know how many of the little heart shaped candies he ate, but there were foil wrappers all over the floor when we found them. My husband and I had gone out, putting the dog in his room (our utility room) where he typically stays while we're at work. When we returned home, he was on top of my washing machine (still can't figure that one out.) He was trembling violently and the walls of my utility room looked as if a chocolate massacre had taken place there. He had literally vomited on walls, floors, the washer and dryer...it was a very traumatizing experience. I knew how dangerous chocolate is said to be for dogs, and when we went to bed that night, we took the dog with us, where we could keep an eye on him. In the morning he seemed to be ok.
--------
View all personal experiences on Chocolate Poisoning
If you want to share information on a different disease, select
a disease from A to Z - Click Here - Diseases A to Z

Remember, this information is for reference only. Always contact your vet or pet profesional for advice.


 






The information contained on this site is for the sole purpose of being informative and is not and should not be used or relied upon as medical advice.
Seek the advice of your vet or other qualified pet care provider before you decide on any treatment or for answers to any questions you may have regarding a canine medical symptom or medical condition.



  about     contact     terms - privacy     links     site map  

 





news feed