General information on Antifreeze Poisoning
Antifreeze Poisoning is one of the most common small animal toxicities. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that attracts both dogs and cats. Poisoning generally occurs when the pet laps up antifreeze dripped from a car’s radiator. It takes only a small amount, less than three ounces, to poison a 40lb dog. Antifreeze poisoning mostly affects the brain and kidneys.
Symptoms of Antifreeze Poisoning
The symptoms of Antifreeze Poisoning occur within ˝ hour to 12 hours after ingestion. The symptoms are depression, vomiting, uncoordinated gait, seizures, coma, and death is common.
Treatments for Antifreeze Poisoning
If you suspect your dog may have ingested even a small amount of Antifreeze, immediately induce vomiting.
[See: ‘HOW TO INDUCE VOMITING’ under PET TIPS.] And seek emergency veterinarian care.
If you have personal pet experience with Antifreeze Poisoning
share your information here - Click Here
Antifreeze Poisoning - personal experiences
Antifreeze Poisoning experience by - Lissa
Lawrenceburg Ky USA
My Boxer Dog, 7 years old had a sudden onset of lethargy, disorientation and vomiting starting on Saturday evening. No appetite, refusing her favorite foods. Called her Vet that night, he said to give her Pepto-Bismol, but she could not hold it down. At this time she was stil able to ambulate but would walk into corners and stare at the wall. No wagging of her tail, just lethargic. Throughout the night she vomited clear thick mucous, Early Monday am, she walked outdoors and jusy started hemorraging maroon colored stool. Respiration went to 70 per minute, unable to get up out of the grass. We assisted her to the car, drove emergently to the vet, he drew blood, she expired 10 nminutes after we arrived there. By the blood work, her kidneys had completely shut down and the vet stated that it was a classic textbook case of anti-freeze poisoning. It was non-witnessed, but our dear boxer is gone.
View all personal experiences on Antifreeze Poisoning
If you want to share information on a different disease, select
a disease from A to Z - Click Here - Diseases A to Z
Remember, this information is for reference only. Always contact your vet or pet profesional for advice.
The information contained on this site is for the sole purpose of
being informative and is not and should not be used or relied upon as medical
Seek the advice of your vet
or other qualified pet care provider before you decide on any treatment or
for answers to any questions you may have regarding a canine medical symptom or medical condition.