helpmyhound home page
about - contact - help   
 

Quick Answers To Your Dog's Medical Symptoms
Wednesday 28th of June 2017



Zinc Poisoning


General information on Zinc Poisoning

Zinc poisoning is very uncommon in dogs. Objects containing zinc are toxic to dogs. Zinc causes irritation to the stomach lining leading to gastrointestinal irritation, leading to zinc poisoning. Some of the objects containing zinc that, if ingested, can lead to zinc poisoning are pennies (made after 1982 due to their zinc core), galvanized metals, certain ointments, and nuts and bolts. Zinc poisoning is most commonly seen in young dogs and can be very serious. In many cases of zinc poisoning, the symptoms may not be perceptible for days after the initial ingestion of the zinc. Due to the fact that zinc poisoning interferes with the body’s ability to properly produce red blood cells, zinc poisoning can lead to hemolytic anemia and kidney failure. A fatal dose of zinc could be as little as just one penny, nut, or bolt.


Symptoms of Zinc Poisoning

Some of the symptoms of zinc poisoning may be: diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss, and lethargy. In severe cases, blood in the urine, kidney failure, and hemolytic anemia may occur. Some of the signs of hemolytic anemia may be a pale yellow coloring of the gums and skin as well as dark orange to brown colored urine.

View Symptoms Of Zinc Poisoning

Treatments for Zinc Poisoning

The treatment for zinc poisoning is first, should you see the dog ingest an object containing zinc, to induce vomiting. Hospitalization may be required for fluid therapy to have the zinc removed from the body. Surgery may also be required to remove the ingested objects containing the zinc.




Personal Experience

personal experience
If you have personal pet experience with Zinc Poisoning
share your information here - Click Here

Zinc Poisoning - personal experiences


If you want to share information on a different disease, select
a disease from A to Z - Click Here - Diseases A to Z

Remember, this information is for reference only. Always contact your vet or pet profesional for advice.


 






The information contained on this site is for the sole purpose of being informative and is not and should not be used or relied upon as medical advice.
Seek the advice of your vet or other qualified pet care provider before you decide on any treatment or for answers to any questions you may have regarding a canine medical symptom or medical condition.



  about     contact     terms - privacy     links     site map  

 





news feed